Thursday 2 August 2012

Linens and gilded domes

I have mentioned before that whilst quilting cotton is difficult to find here in Latvia, the same cannot be said for linen. The best linen bargains, however, are to be found in a factory shop a two- and a bit hour drive away in Lithuania. So, when I found out that my husband had a business trip to Lithuania planned, you can imagine what was on my agenda!

Linens are piled high all around the shop, so choosing can be a lengthy process. In the end all of these found their way into my basket. Well I don't know when I will be back and at around £5 per metre, it would be nuts not to take advantage, wouldn't it?





Some of these were destined for my Armchair Athlete Cushion, but some like this 

And this

were just because purchases! They are bound to come in useful someday :) Suggestions welcome, naturally!

On the way back from Lithuania we stopped for a coffee in a town about an hour outside Riga, and came across this lovely church.

Aren't those domes gorgeous? We definitely picked the right day to visit it, the gilding on the domes were glinting beautifully in the sunshine.

Hope you have all been enjoying some sunshine too.





 

18 comments:

  1. Lovely linen ... and the church is just beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona the church was restored in 1995, yet the blue and gold domes looked like they had been finished yesterday.

      Delete
  2. The linen with the houses is lovely!

    I think the churches in your part of the world look like they're made out of cake, especially in Lithuania!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would have been rude not to have bought those linens!! I love the one with the cars on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They definitely look like fabrics that that need to be used for something :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your picture of the church is just beautiful! That linen with the houses on reminds me of Lucie Summers' embroidered fabric http://blu-shed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/embroidering-idea.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow bit of a bargain on the linens! Definitely worth stocking up on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your linens! Especially the one with cars! Not sure what I would do with it but yes it would go in my basket also--lol! but then you probably could have guessed that. The church is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finds! I don't think I have seen linen with a print on it before. Thanks for sharing your travel pictures with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those linens, especially the one with the printed houses on, I love houses. Thanks for sharing! maybe you could become a store ( do you take Pay Pal)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the linen with the houses!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your just because linen with the houses. I can even see little TV aerials. Not sure what I'd make with it, but I wouldn't have left it in the shop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun linen selection, and love that church, what fabulous colours

    ReplyDelete
  13. How kind of you to keep husband company on that long boring journey. It's only right that ou find something to do while he's in his meeting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh oh; I just need the address of this shop, please Fiona!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out their website

      http://www.linas.lt/en/shops/

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...