Wednesday 30 January 2013

A steep learning curve!

Thanks to all your encouragement I have now managed to complete my project for the Curved Seams Challenge. You were all of course right, stepping away from it was just what I needed. So, one not-so quick, trip to the cinema to see Les Miserables was exactly the right tonic to inspire me to knuckle down and get this off my WIP list.

I appliqued the Orange Peel blocks to a plain background and then had a think about what I was actually going to do with this. My initial thought was to make it a tablecloth, then I decided to make it reversible, just to make that deadline tomorrow even more unlikely!

When cutting out the centre blocks I had several melon shapes of the blue floral left, so they became a flower centre for the back of the tablecloth.

The centre of the flower itself is a yo-yo from a scrap of the brown used on the front. As you can see there is no wadding added as I didn't want the thickness of wadding for the tablecloth, so the front and back were simply stitched together right sides facing and then turned right side out and topstitched.

My husband was pressed into service to hold the top up as it is far too windy today for a photograph. Upon hearing that it was destined to become a tablecloth for the garden table, he has claimed this for himself as the perfect cover-up when he is sleeping (sorry reading!) in the garden on a sunny day. So it looks like I have lost my tablecloth already!

Now that I have this WIP off the list I can make a start on another one. The Triple Zip A Long kicked off on Monday, but I have been putting off starting until this Curved Seams challenge was finished. I ordered several zips from ZipIt thinking they would take a couple of weeks to get here, but they were really speedy delivering them so they actually arrived on the first day of the ZAL. How is that for service?


My fabrics are now cut and I am ready to join in with the ZAL.





Three zips in one pouch should definitely knock on the head any lingering difficulties with inserting zips, well that is the plan anyway!

So here is how my WIP list is looking now.

So my WIP list currently looks like this

  • In Color Order HST BOM - Top Completed
  • (Almost) Irish Chain quilt basted
  • Tsatime quilt pieced, backed and basted COMPLETED
  • 5 blocks of NY Beauty QAL completed and fabric cut for remaining 5 blocks
  • 14 blocks of Craftsy BOM completed (way behind schedule) 
  • Sunday Morning Quilt Bee blocks completed and sent (ahead of schedule!)
  • Star of Africa Bee blocks completed and sent (on schedule just!)
  • Friendship Bag Swap signed up and partner details received
  • Modern Scrappy Bits Swap 3rd Round signed up
  • Curved Seams Challenge signed up COMPLETED
  • And Sew On BOM - first block completed
  • Everything but the Kitchen Sink SAL - no progress
Hope you have had a productive week too.


If you have tried something New to You this month and haven't already linked up to

there is still time, the link party does not close until tomorrow. You can link up here and if you haven't tried anything new but would like to try something New to You then check out the great links already posted, craft bloggers are a really inspiring bunch!

Linking up to WOW and  WIP Wednesday

11 comments:

  1. That will be a very well dressed table!! I love the idea of it being reversible, especially with my messy children!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! It will make an awesome table cloth. Sometimes you need some time off to let your brain work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT!!! Congrats on meeting the challenge! I love your project and your thrifty attitude about using up scraps--genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for the finish, and double yay for multiple uses ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wasn't that a great movie! Great job on the curves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea to incorporate the blocks into a tablecloth / cover-up and doesn't it feel good to cross it off the list. I'm off to see Les Miserables this week. I've heard it's very good and that I'll need tissues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BEAUTIFUL work! I love the block! Using the leftovers for the flower on the back was a genius idea. I love how your husband claimed it as a blanket :D!

    Your fabric choices for the Triple Zip are very pretty! I just checked out the ZipIt Etsy store and I think I am in love! So many pretty colors...I am going to have to start hoarding zippers now LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done on the finish - and your idea for the back has just triggered a light bulb for my leftovers from the Mod Pop DP cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks gorgeous, I think you need to reclaim it for its intended purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  10. well done on getting it finished, it looks great, and incredibly hard!

    Oh no, I'm late for the linky. I'm so behind on blog reading after all this time without broadband at home. Ah well, maybe next month.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has turned out perfectly. Looks very tricky - you've done a fab job :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...