Friday 6 June 2014

A Boat for a Boy

When my new grand-nephew was born last month I was delighted to have an excuse to make my first ever baby quilt. Having held off making anything until he was born to be sure of getting the fabric selection right, it needed to be something relatively quick to make up.

Callum's Quilt

Fortunately I found the perfect pattern in the Spring/ Summer edition of Fresh Quilts. The pattern, by Gudrun Erla, was actually for a wallhanging but I reasoned that it would also be ideal for a baby quilt.

Image of What does the Fox say? from Fresh Quilts Spring/Summer 2014
The original pattern in the magazine shown above was based upon a fabric line of woodland animals so had a fox applique. I have, however, been hoarding a FQ bundle of Thomas Knauer's Seagull Flock fabric for a very long time since I bought it with a Fat Quarter Shop voucher won in a giveaway many moons ago. This was the perfect opportunity to liberate the bundle from my stash cupboard!

The QAYG technique I mentioned in my previous post was a revelation. I took longer to work out the fabric placement than it did to actually make the quilt!

Basically the blocks were pieced into strips and then attached together and quilted to the wadding and backing in one step. I was a bit worried about keeping my lines straight on the diagonal but it worked out fine.

Callum's Quilt quilting


This is how the quilting looks from the back, it is perhaps more minimal than I might otherwise have done but it would be easy to add extra quilting as each strip is added.

The backing fabric had also been lurking in my stash for a while as it was a lucky find in the fabric bins at my local Abakhan store when we lived in Riga. I was delighted when I discovered that I had more than enough of it to back this quilt.

Callum's Quilt

With the seagull theme of the fabric the applique had to be a boat! I shall not embarrass myself by telling you how many times it took for me to get the fusible web applique sails the right way round though :) Let's just say that I was very happy when I finally got it to work!

The stats for the quilt are;

Pattern by Gudrun Erla in Fresh Quilts Spring/Summer 2014
Fabric       Seagull Flock by Thomas Knauer for Andover Fabrics
Size          35" x 43"
Quilting    QAYG


It is what feels like my first for a long time Friday finish too, so I am linking it up to
  Crazy Mom Quilts





30 comments:

  1. Such a pretty little quilt. The fabric you've used is perfect for a little babyboy. It's so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great baby boy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is really sweet! Well done on such a quick finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice combo and pattern. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable baby quilt! The sailboat applique is my favorite part. It is such a great feeling to be able to make a quilt from stash fabric, especially when there is enough for the backing too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will be one to treasure for a long time - it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous fabric and a beautiful quilt, Fiona. Love the addition of the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fiona it's beautiful! I agree with Pam - I love the addition of the boat - it's the perfect added touch :) I've had the same problem with the fusible web - I do letters a lot so you can imagine how that goes sometimes :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect baby quilt! I like the blocks on the diagonal and the added appliqué. How awesome to have had exactly what you needed in your stash :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. I love the added detail of the boat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delightful - love the fabrics and the boat is just right. I'm sure it's a quilt that will be snuggled under for many years!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's beautiful, and thanks for the tip on QAYG. I'd forgotten you can do it this way, and I think piecing and quilting in one go is ideal for small quilts.
    I'm sure this will be one very cosy little boy in your cold north-eastern winter who will love the sailing boat, cresting the waves of his quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great quilt!!! Love the fabric choices. What a lucky grand-nephew you have!! Visiting (and new subscriber) from Finish It Up Friday

    ~ Jess ~
    Everything Is Coming Up Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great choice, and I'm sure it will be gratefully received :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun! I can't believe you've never made a baby quilt! Looks like you're a natural...a beautiful little quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The orange and blue is a great combination for a baby boy. What a lucky guy he is to have you as a great aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing your link at TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fab quilt, and congratulation on becoming a great grandma!!!! I timed one of these quilts - 90 minutes to binding!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A gorgeous quilt Fiona. Love the quilt as you go method too. Congrats on the birth of your grand nephew! Marie x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous and the design is classic so will not be 'grown out of', instead it will a much loved present, from a much loved Aunt, for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely wee quilt, and a nice image of you footering about with Bondaweb.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great quilt and perfect for a baby boy xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a great quilt and your boat makes it extra special. Reversing images for using fusible web catches everyone out at some point - it was just your turn this time!

    ukcitycrafter@live.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your baby quilt came out so pretty. I made the Fox quilt from that pattern and was also amazed at how fast the quilting went. I like the idea of using different appliques to make each quilt different.

    ReplyDelete
  25. very pretty, I'm sure it will be well loved.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great quilt! I love the boat and the colours are so soothing and calm. I bet it will be well loved.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a lovely baby quilt! I like the way you quilted it :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on the new arrival to the family. That is a really cute quilt. I've not done quilt as you go yet but have a course booked. Sorry I was so late commenting but I've had a nasty virus and I'm still in bed!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful work, the colours are so soft. Congrats on the new addition to the family!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...